Journey choosing began shortly after we returned to school from Holiday Break in January. We began with 35 categories to consider including fishing, climate change, family, numbers, shapes, solar system, writing and editing, superheroes, and musicals. Oh, and animals, mythology, world cultures, military, weather, creative art and the presidential election. Oh, and....................! Drum roll please... we are down to two Journey of Discovery topics: World History and The Arts. Many beautiful ideas are being shared for each topic, and another discussion will happen on Monday.
Opportunities for Reading Abound at WCS
- Reading with Carolyn for emerging readers continues to happen every day after lunch using the Orton Gillingham approach to multi- sensory education.
- Other students read a book of their choice independently or one on one with a teacher.
- We close our day together with three Read Aloud groups, each group covering a variety of genres. Lily’s Read Aloud group talks about their Rose, Rosebud and Thorn each day, ask your child about it!
Current Read Aloud Books
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming
- The Eye of Minds by James Dashner
- Seasons of the Moon: Autumn Moon by Jean Craighead George